GEOS 671 Reading Lists
History and organization
- Aki, K., 1992. State of the Art in Volcanic Seismology. in: Gasparini, Scarpa, and Aki (Eds.) Volcanic Seismology, IAVCEI Proceedings in Volcanology 3, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg New York, p. 3-10.
- Simkin, T., 1993. Terrestrial Volcanism in Space and Time. Annu. Rev. Earth. Planet. Sci., v. 21, p. 427-452.
- Newhall, C. G., and Self, S., 1982. The Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI): An Estimate of Explosive Magnitude for Historical Volcanism. J. Geophys. Res., v. 87, no.C2, p. 1231-1238.
- Dibble, R. R., 1972. Seismic and Related Phenomena at Active Volcanoes in New Zealand, Hawaii, and Italy, Chapter 1: Previous Work on Instrumental Volcanic Seismology. Ph.D. Thesis, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand, p. 7-40.
- Shimozuru, D., 1972. A Seismological Approach to the Prediction of Volcanic Eruptions. in: The Surveillance and Prediction of Volcanic Activity, A Review of Methods and Techniques, UNESCO, Paris, p. 19-45. (Also introductions by Gorshkov p. 9-13, and Minakami p. 17-18)
- Carey, S., and Sigurdsson, H., 1989. The Intensity of Plinian Eruptions. Bull. Volcanol., v. 51, p. 28-40 (see Figure 7 and the discussion about VEI)
Instruments and networks; seismic velocities of volcanic materials
- Stein, S., 1992. Introduction to Seismology, Earthquakes, and Earth Structure. Dept. of Geological Sciences, Northwestern University, Chapter 7.6, Seismometers and Seismological Networks, p. 501-509.
- Lee, W.H.K., and Stewart, S.W., 1981. Principles and Applications of Microearthquake Networks, Chapter 2, Instrumentation Systems, Academic Press, New York, p. 15-41.
- GeoSpace Corp., 1957. Geophone Response Equations and Their Application. Technical Information No. 100-G, GeoSpace Corp. Houston, Texas, 9 p.
- Allen, R.V., 1978. Automatic Earthquake Recognition and Timing from Single Traces. Bull. Seis. Soc. Amer., v. 68, p. 1521-1532.
- Lee, W.H.K., and Stewart, S.W., 1981. Principles and Applications of Microearthquake Networks, Chapter 3, Data Processing Procedures, Academic Press, New York, p. 46-75
- Allen, R., 1982. Automatic Phase Pickers: Their Present Use and Future Prospects. Bull. Seis. Soc. Amer., v. 72, p. S225-S242.
- Aki, K., and Richards, P.G., 1980. Quantitative Seismology, Theory and Methods, volume 1, Chapter 10, Principles of Seismometry, W.H. Freeman and Co., San Francisco, p.477-482 and 517-518.
- Resnick, R., and Halliday, D., 1977. Physics, Part I, Chapter 15, John Wiley and Sons, New York, p.322-325.
- Lahr, J.C., 1989. USGS OFR 89-116, section 4.2.2
Terminology and event classification
- Endo, E.T., and T. Murray, 1991. Real-time Seismic Amplitude Measurement (RSAM): a volcano monitoring and prediction tool. Bull. Volcanol., v. 53, p. 533-545.
- Stephens, C.D., B.A. Chouet, R.A. Page, J.C. Lahr, and J.A. Power, 1994. Seismological aspects of the 1989-1990 eruptions at Redoubt Volcano, Alaska: the SSAM perspective. Jour. Volcano. Geotherm. Res, v. 62, p. 153-182.
Terminology and event classification:
- Minakami, T., 1960. Fundamental Research for Predicting Volcanic Eruptions (part 1): Earthquakes and Crustal Deformations originating from Volcanic Activities. Bull. Earthq. Res. Inst. v. 38, p. 497-544.
- Latter, J.H., 1981. Volcanic earthquakes, and their relationship to eruptions at Ruapehu and Ngauruhoe volcanoes. Jour. Volcanol. Geotherm. Res., v. 9, p. 293-309.
- Okada, Hm., H. Watanabe, H. Yamashita, and I. Yokoyama, 1981. Seismologicl significance of the 1977-1978 eruptions and the magma intrusion process of Usu Volcano, Hokkaido. Jour.Volcanol. Geotherm. Res., v. 9, p. 311-334.
Swarms, magnitudes, energy, b-values, p-values
- Hill, D.P., 1977. A Model for Earthquake Swarms. J. Geophys. Res., v. 82, p. 1347-1352.
- Sykes, L.R., 1970. Earthquake Swarms and Sea-Floor Spreading. J. Geophys. Res., v. 75, p. 6598-6661.
- Mogi, K., 1962. Magnitude-Frequency Relation for Elastic Shocks Accompanying Fractures of Various Materials and some Related Problems in Earthquakes. Bull. Earthq. Res. Inst., v. 40, p. 831-853.
- Scholz, C.H., 1968. The Frequency-Magnitude Relation of Microfracturing in Rock and its Relation to Earthquakes. Bull. Seis. Soc. Amer., v. 58, p. 399-415.
- Warren, N.W., and G.V. Latham, 1970. An Experimental Study of Thermally Induced Microfracturing and its Relation to Volcanic Seismicity. J. Geophys Res., v. 75, p. 4455-4464.
- Kisslinger, C. and L.M. Jones, 1991. Properties of Aftershock Sequences in Southern California. J. Geophys. Res., v. 96, p. 11947-11958.
- Reasenberg, P.A., and L.M. Jones, 1989. Earthquake Hazard After a Mainshock in California. Science, v. 243, p. 1173-1176
High frequency (VT, A-type) earthquakes
- Gibowicz, S.J., 1973. Variation of frequency-magnitude relationship during Taupo earthquake swarm of 1964-65. New Zealand Jour. Geol. & Geophys., v. 16, p. 18-51.
- Raleigh, C.B., J.H. Healy, and J.D. Bredehoeft, 1972. Faulting and crustal stress at Rangely, Colorado.
- Geophysical Monograph 16, Amer. Geophys. Union, Wash. D.C., p.275-284.
Optional but Recommended:
- Main, I.G., 1987. A characteristic earthquake model of the seismicity preceding the eruption of Mount St Helens on 18 May 1980. Phys. Earth Planet. Int., v. 49, p. 283-293.
- Page, R., 1968, Aftershocks and microaftershocks of the great Alaska earthquake of 1964. Bull. Seis. Soc. Amer., v. 58,p. 1131-1168.
- Wyss, M., 1973. Towards a physical understanding of the earthquake frequency distribution. Geophys. J. Royal Astr. Soc., v. 31, p. 341-359.
- Wiens, D.A., and Petroy, D.E., 1990. The largest recorded earthquake swarm: Intraplate faulting near the southwest Indian ridge. J. Geophys. Res., v. 95, p. 4735-4750.
- Bath, M., 1981. Earthquake magnitude - recent research and current trends. Earth Science Reviews, v. 17, p. 315-398.
Low frequency (LP, B-type, VLP) earthquakes
- Chouet, B., 1992. A seismic model for the source of long-period events and harmonic tremor. in: Gasparini et al., (eds.), Volcanic Seismology, IAVCEI Proceedings in Volcanology 3, p. 133-156.
- Gordeev, E.I., 1992. Modelling of volcanic tremor wave fields. Jour. Volcanol. Geotherm. Res., v. 51, p. 145-160.
- McNutt, S.R., 1986. Observations and analysis of B-type earthquakes, explosions, and volcanic tremor at Pavlof Volcano, Alaska. Bull. Seis. Soc. Amer, v. 76, p. 153-175.
- Fischer, T.P., et al., 1994. Correlations between SO2 flux and long-period seismicity at Galeras volcano. Nature, v. 368, p. 135-137.
- Crosson, R.S., and D.A. Bame, 1985. A spherical source model for low frequency volcanic earthquakes. J. Geophys. Res., v. 90, p. 10,237-10,247.
- Chouet, B., R.Y. Koyanagi, and K. Aki, 1987. Origin of volcanic tremor in Hawaii, Part II, Theory and discussion. U.S. Geological Survey Prof. Paper 1350, p. 1259-1280.
- Chouet, B.A., 1996. Long-period volcano seismicity: its source and use in eruption forecasting. Nature, v. 380, p. 309-316.
- Kanamori, H. 1977. The energy release of great earthquakes. J. Geophys. Res., v. 82, p. 2981-2987.
- Yokoyama, I., S. de la Cruz-Reyna, and J.M. Espindola, 1992. Energy partition in the 1982 eruption of El Chichon volcano, Chiapas, Mexico. J. Volcanol. Geotherm. Rs., v. 51, p. 1-21.
- Bakun, W.H., and W.B. Joyner, 1984. The ML scale in Central California. Bull. Seis. Soc. Amer., v. 74, p. 1827-1843.
- McNutt, S.R., 1992. Volcanic Tremor. Encyclopedia of Earth System Science, v. 4, p. 417-425.
- Aki, K., and R.Y. Koyanagi, 1981. Deep volcanic tremor and magma ascent mechanism under Kilauea, Hawaii. J. Geophys. Res., v. 86, p. 7095-7109.
- Leet, R.C., 1988. Saturated and subcooled hydrothermal boiling in groundwater flow channels as a source of harmonic tremor. J. Geophys. Res., v. 93, p. 4835-4849.
- Julian, B.R., 1994. Volcanic tremor: Nonlinear excitation by fluid flow. J. Geophys. Res., v. 99, p. 11,859-11,877.
- Ukawa, M., 1993. Excitation mechanism of large-amplitude volcanic tremor associated with the 1989 Ito-oki submarine eruption, central Japan. Jour. Volcanol. Geotherm. Res., v. 55, p. 33-50.
- McNutt, S.R., 1994. Volcanic tremor amplitude correlated with the Volcanic Explosivity and its potential use in determining ash hazards to aviation. Acta Vulcanologica, v. 5, p. 193-196.
- Benoit, J.P. and S.R. McNutt, 1997. New constraints on source processes of volcanic tremor at Arenal Volcano, Costa Rica, using broadband seismic data. Geophys. Res, Lettr., v. 24, p. 449-452.
Volcanic explosions (C-type)
- Ishihara, K., 1985. Dynamical analysis of volcanic explosion. Jour. Geodynamics, v. 3, p. 327-349.
- Kanamori, H., and J.W. Given, 1982. Analysis of long-period seismic waves excited by the May 18, 1980, eruption of Mount St. Helens - A terrestrial monopole? J. Geophys. Res., v. 87, p. 5422-5432.
- Neuberg, J., R. Luckett, M. Ripepe, and T. Braun, 1994. Highlights from a seismic broadband array on Stromboli volcano. Geophys. Res. Lettr., v. 21, p. 749-752.
- Braun, T., and M Ripepe, 1993. Interaction of seismic and air waves recorded at Stromboli volcano. Geophys. Res. Lettr., v. 20, p. 65-68.
- Decker, R.W., and R.L. Christiansen, 1984. Explosive eruptions of Kilauea Volcano, Hawaii. in: Explosive Volcanism: Inception, Evolution, and Hazards, National Research Council, Washington D.C., p. 122-132.
- Imai, H., 1983. A mechanism of successive eruption as inferred from seismic data associated with the 1973 eruptive stage of Asama Volcano. in: Arc Volcanism, Physics and Tectonics, Shimozuru and Yokoyama (eds.), Terra Scientific Pub. Co., Tokyo, p. 63-80.
- van Wijngaarden, L., 1980?, Sound and shock waves in bubbly liquids (ref. incomplete)
Attenuation and noise at volcanoes
- Del Pezzo, E., G. Lombardo, and S. Spampinato, 1989. Attenuation of volcanic tremor at Mt. Etna, Sicily. Bull. Seis. Soc. Amer., v. 79, p. 1989-1994.
- Menke, W., and V. Levin, 1994. Cold crust in a hot spot. Geophys. Res. Lettr., v. 21, p. 1967-1970.
- Frankel, A., 1982. The effects of attenuation and site response on the spectra of microearthquakes in the northeastern Carribbean. Bull. Seis. Soc. Amer., v. 72, p. 1379-1402.
- Aki, K., and P.G. Richards, 1980. Ambient seismic noise, section 10.2.5. Quantitative Seismology, Theory and Methods, Freeman and Co., San Francisco, p. 497-498.
- Mora, M.M., P. Lesage, J. Dorel, P.-Y. Bard, J.-P. Metaxian, G.E. Alvarado, and C. Leandro, 2001. Study of seismic site effects using H/V spectral ratios at Arenal Volcano, Costa Rica, Geophys. Res. Lettr., v. 28, p. 2991-2994.
- Patane, D., F. Ferrucci, and S. Gresta, 1994. Spectral features of microearthquakes in volcanic areas: Attenuation in the crust and amplitude resonse of the site at Mt. Etna, Italy. Bull. Seis. Soc. Amer., v. 84, p. 1842-1860.
- Donn, W.L., 1957. A case study bearing on the origin and propagation of 2- to 6-second microseisms. Transactions, Amer. Geophys. Unon, v. 38, p.354-359.
- Stacey, F.D., 1977. Damping of oscillations and attenuation of seismic waves, section 10.4. Physics of the Earth, John Wiley & Sons, New York, p. 300-307.
- Ward, P.L., and S. Bjornsson, 1971. Microearthquakes, swarms, and the geothermal areas of Iceland. J. Geophys. Res., v. 76, p. 3953-3982.
- Tonn, R., 1989. Comparison of seven methods for the computation of Q. Phys. Earth Planet. Int., v. 55, p. 259-268.
Large earthquakes near volcanoes; Cycles of volcanic activity
Large earthquakes near volcanoes:
- Scandone, R. 1995 (in preparation) Factors controlling the evolution of large explosive eruptions. 20 p.
- Abe, K., 1992. Seismicity of the caldera-making eruption of Mount Katmai, Alaska in 1912. Bull. Seis. Soc. Amer., v. 82, p. 175-191.
- Hill, D.P., et al., 1993. Seismicity remotely triggered by the magnitude 7.3 Landers, California, earthquake. Science, v. 260, p. 1617-1623.
- Nettles, M., and G. Ekstrom, 1998. Faulting mechanism of anomalous earthquakes near Bardarbunga Volcano, Iceland. J. Geophys. Res., v. 103, p. 17,973-17,983.
- Hill, D.P., M.J.S. Johnston, J.O. Langbein, and R. Bilham, 1995. Response of Long Valley caldera to the Mw=7.3 Landers, California, Earthquake. J. Geophys. Res., v. 100, p. 12,985-13,005. (optional)
- Carr, M.J., 1977. Volcanic activity and great earthquakes at convergent plate margins. Science, v. 197, p. 655-657. (optional)
- Kanamori, H. and J. Mori, 1992. Harmonic excitation of mantle Rayleigh waves by the 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo, Phillippines. Geophys. Res. Lett., v. 19, p. 721-724. (optional)
- Lipman, P.W., J.P. Lockwood, R.T. Okamura, D.A. Swanson, and K.M. Yamashita, 1985. Ground deformation associated with the 1975 magnitude-7.2 earthquake and resulting changes in activity of Kilauea Volcano, Hawaii. U.S. Geol. Survey Prof. Paper 1276, 45 p. (optional)
- White, R.W., and D.H. Harlow, 1993. Destructive upper-crustal earthquakes of Central America since 1900. Bull. Seis. Soc. Amer., v. 83, p. 1115-1142. (optional)
- Carr, M.J., 1983. Nests of intermediate depth (70-160 km) earthquakes adjacent to active volcanoes during 1963-1982. J. Volcanol. Geotherm. Res., v. 19, p. 349-365.
- Wiemer, S. and J. Benoit, 1996. Mapping the b-value anomaly at 100 km depth in the Alaska and New Zealand subduction zones. Geophys. Res. Letters, v. 23, p. 1557-1560.
Forecasting of eruptions and assessment of eruptions in progress
- Voight, B., 1988. A method for prediction of volcanic eruptions. Nature, v.332, p. 125-130.
- Barberi, F., A. Bertagnini, P. Landi, and C. Principe, 1992. A review on phreatic eruptions and their precursors. Jour. Volcanol. & Geotherm. Res., v. 52, p. 231-246.
- Swanson, D.A., T.J. Casadevall, D. Dzurisin, S.D. Malone, C.G. Newhall, and C.S. Weaver, 1983. Predicting eruptions at Mount St. Helens, June 1980 through December 1982. Science, v. 221, p. 1369-1376.
- Malone, S.D., Boyko, C., and C.S. Weaver, 1983. Seismic precursors to the Mount St. Helens eruptions in 1981 and 1982. Science, v. 221, p. 1376-1378.
- Page, R.A., J.C. Lahr, B.A. Chouet, J.A.Power, and C.D. Stephens, 1994. Statistical forecasting of repetitious dome failures during the waning eruption of Redoubt Volcano, Alaska, February -- April 1990. Jour. Volcanol. & Geotherm. Res., v. 62, p. 183-196.
- Tokarev, P.I., 1985. The prediction of large explosions of andesitic volcanoes. Jour. Geodynamics, v. 3, p. 219-244.
- McNutt, S.R., 1996, Seismic monitoring and eruption forecasting of volcanoes: A review of the state-of-the-art and case histories. In: Scarpa, R. and R. Tilling (eds.), Monitoring and Mitigation of Volcano Hazards, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, p. 99-146.
Magma chambers, S-wave screening, and tomography
- Sanders, C.O., and F. Ryall, 1983. Geometry of magma bodies beneath Long Valley, California determined from anomalous earthquake signals. Geophys. Res. Lettr., v. 10, p. 690-692.
- Peppin, W.A., W. Honjas, T.W. Delaplain, and U. Vetter, 1989. The case for a shallow-crustal anomalous zone (magma body?) near the south end of Hilton Creek fault, California, including new evidence from an interpretation of pre-S arrivals. Bull. Seis. Soc. Amer., v. 79, p. 805-812.
- Thurber, C.H., 1984, Seismic detection of the summit magma complex of Kilauea Volcano, Hawaii. Science, v. 223, p. 165-167.
- West, M., W. Menke, M. Tolstoy, S. Webb, and R. Sohn, Magma storage beneath Axial volcano on the Juan de Fuca mid-ocean ridge. Nature, v. 413, p. 833-836, 2001.
- Herron, T.J., P.L. Stoffa, and P. Buhl, 1980. Magma chamber and mantle reflections -- East Pacific Rise. Geophys. Res. Lettr., v. 7, p. 989-992.
- Iyer, H.M., 1984. Geophysical evidence for the locations, shapes and sizes, and internal structures of magma chambers beneath regions of Quaternary volcanism. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond., v 310, p. 473-510.
- Clippard, J., D.H. Christensen, and R.D. Rechtien, 1995. Composite distribution inversion applied to crosshole tomography. Geophysics, v. 60, p. 1283-1294.
- Sanders, C.O., 1984. Location and configuration of magma bodies beneath Long Valley, California, determined from anomalous earthquake signals. J. Geophys. Res., v. 89, p. 8287-8302.
- Sharp, A.D.L., P.M. Davis, and F. Gray, 1980. A low velocity zone beneath Mount Etna and magma storage. Nature, v. 287, p. 587-591.
- McNutt, S.R., and K.H. Jacob, 1986. Determination of large-scale velocity structure of the crust and upper mantle in the vicinity of Pavlof Volcano, Alaska. J. Geophys. Res., v. 91, p. 5013-5022.
- Julian, B.R., A. Ross, G.R. Foulger, and J.R. Evans, 1996. Three-dimensional seismic image of a geothermal reservoir: The Geysers, California. Geophys. Res. Lett.
- Julian, B.R., A.M. Pitt, and G.R. Foulger, 1998. Seismic imgae of a CO2 reservoir beneath a seismically active volcano. Geophys. J. Intl., v. 133, p. F7-F10.
- Lees, J.M., and R.S. Crosson, 1989. Tomographic inversion for three-dimensional velocity structure at Mount St. Helens using earthquake data. J. Geophys. Res., v. 94, p. 5716-5728.